Tiny Platformer (Pico-8 Example Code)
Quick note about controls: Pico-8 has two action buttons, called "X" and "O." On a keyboard, "X" is the X key, and "O" is the Z key.
Tiny Platformer! A full Pico-8 example project to help you learn about making runny-jumpy games, plus various other neat little tricks!
The game is free to play in your browser (at the top of the page), but if you want to read the source code, you'll have to give me a bit of money. The minimum price is $1, so you can figure out what you think it's worth to you.
!! ATTENTION !!
THIS IS SOURCE CODE FOR A PICO-8 PROJECT!
YOU NEED PICO-8 TO MAKE USE OF THIS DOWNLOAD!
Here are some of Tiny Platformer's features, which you can learn about by reading the source code:
- Platforming with ledge grabs, wall jumps, moving platforms
- Freeform grappling-hook mechanic
- Character animation and animated-trail rendering
- Particle effects
- Dynamic music: mute/unmute channels for different segments
- Generates and stores animated (fire) sprites from code
- Big ol' bossfight as a finale
If a few people ask me about a topic in the code, I'll try to make some video content explaining that system in detail.
In order to download this game you must purchase it at or above the minimum price of $1 USD. You will get access to the following files: